Saturday, September 28, 2019

To kill a Mockingbird


I know what the book is about since I had already seen the movie starring Gregory Peck but for some reason I always thought that I would probably not like the book itself if I ever got to read it.
I am happy to declare that I was completely wrong.
Another book which I have always felt that I would not like is “Uncle Tom’s Cabin”. Again, I have seen movies and dramas based on it so I know what that one is about as well.
Why did i think like that?
Maybe because both books deal with issues specific to American History and not being an American myself, I did not feel connected to them or drawn to them in anyway. But then again reading about cultures and traditions totally unrelated and separate from my own has never posed any problems for me before.
Or maybe it was because I generally do not favour books that are inclined portray the tragic or depressive side of life. Regardless, I have read a few of those as well and also liked some.
So what was it that kept me from reading them all these year? I am not sure I know.
All I know is that having been proven wrong about one, I am willing to be pleasantly proven wrong about the other as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment