Saturday, February 20, 2010

Nature's wonderful orchestra


Has anyone ever heard the wind whistle, like it does in those old classic English novels?
I certainly hadn’t, that is not until I moved into my new house. Ever since then windy nights are anything but quiet. Around here strong wind just does not blow, it howls, it moans and yes it WHISTLES too. It is a peculiar kind of whistle, long and piercing, the kind that accompanies all steam engines pulling into and out off picturesque little railway stations in old Indian movies).
And as if the whistling isn’t enough to disturb light sleepers (which thankfully I am not) the window panes also start to shake and rattle. If we had wooden floor boards I am sure they too would creak adding their bit of contribution to the already noisy surroundings. But since we do not have them, we are spared that particular acoustic.
I think I have figured out why this happens. In almost all English classics the noisy houses are always situated on lonely moors in the middle of nowhere or someplace equally isolated. Though I can not say that we live in the middle of nowhere nor can our surroundings be termed as wilderness, our house is however, surrounded by empty spaces on all sides for a considerable distance. This I believe allows the wind to pass unhindered without any kind of obstruction to break its force.
So all we need is a bit of gale and the magnificent performance of nature’s orchestra keeps us entertained all night long.

1 comment:

  1. Hello There...
    This is HASSAN one of your fans... I just wanted to let you know that it was really a treat to read “Nature’s Wonderful Orchestra”. Please keep writing and adding to your blog.
    All the Best,
    HASSAN

    ReplyDelete