Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Some More Big 'Why's of My Life


A funny thing happens when ever I am trying to boil eggs. If I aim to have a half boiled one and leave it on heat for 30 extra seconds, it develops a solid yellow lump in the center and when I want a hard boiled one, which I leave boiling for ages, it still ends up runny and liquid when I crack open the shell.
I also have an egg boiler that gives ready to serve eggs in record time but ever since our last relocation I have been unable to locate the accompanying graduated cylinder that measured the exact amount of water to be added to it. The water amount differed depending upon number of eggs to be boiled and the state of the end product i.e. hard boiled or soft boiled. It goes with out saying that the water measurement had to be precise to ensure accurate results. But with the measuring cylinder missing, my fancy egg boiler is pretty much useless.
The most obvious question to ask at this point would be, why not time the boiling process using a three minute timer or even a regular watch.
The answer to that one is that I do time it and it makes no difference whatsoever to the confusing state of affairs.
Am I the only one who has noticed that eggs of different sizes have different cooking times and since the eggs brought home range anywhere between large over sized ones to almost quail sized minuscule ones the standard amount of time it takes to cook one type is absolutely of no use as far as the other variety is concerned. What is more, the number of eggs being cooked together also effect the overall cooking time.
I also have a shrewd suspicion that egg boiling time in winter is different from that in summers but since I never confirmed it, I will let this one go.
If these observations of mine are not correct then there is only one explanation left for this bizarre phenomenon.
At the risk of sounding paranoid I would state the eggs are in a league against me and deliberately confuse their boiling time just to get on my nerves.

No comments:

Post a Comment